e.b.Studios is a creative consultancy started by user interface and experience designer Erika
Bauer. From 2000-2007 Erika and her associates offered online design/development services, branding and print material design to Bay Area companies. In 2007 Erika moved into the mobile design space working on apps for Symbian (Nokia) handsets, as well as early Android phone apps. From 2010-2011, Erika worked as UI/UX Manager and founding member of the NOOK team at Barnes & Noble Digital Products in Silicon Valley. In 2011-12, she relocated to Seattle, Washington and worked as a Senior/Lead Designer with Amazon's Kindle Content Design team. Currently she's working on buildling out a new, universal Customer Profile feature set with Amazon's Community Shopping team and Engagement Design group.
- Designs shipped on 3 generations of Kindle Fire HD tablets and the Fire Phone. Erika contributed to the shopping experience design and embedded app alignment on the new lines of Fire tablets from 2012-2015 and was lead designer for the Fire Phone bookstore.
- The updated bookstore design for Kindle E Ink touch devices (Paperwhite) launched globally in February 2016 as part of an overall device software refresh. Erika worked on the Eink extensive design update project from 2014-2015.
- June 2011: Barnes & Noble ships the NOOK Simple Touch. CNET says "Best e-ink reader," 6/1/11. Erika worked with the team on the system and app UX for this new device. It was a sister to the first NOOK Color tablet, which Erika worked on in 2010 and was the key designer for the NOOK's first newsstand reader app with ArticleView.
- The design projects Erika completed for Sony Ericsson from 2009-2010 was announced in February 2011 at Mobile World Congress: Xperia Play, the first PlayStation Android smartphone.
Case study now available for premium mobile messaging and advertising campaign management application completed for the start-up Kadoink in 2009.
Case studies are available, profiling mobile & web projects through 2008.
Mobile consulting & mobile design work
Erika recently helped MaryAnn Cotter at Cooking Capsules with her Android application IA and UI upgrade for the G phone. It's the first smartphone utility of its kind! The app just won a place in the TOP 20 in the Android Developer's Challenge Round 2!!! See MaryAnn's blog for more info. See all winners on the Android site.
Erika worked with an international team at Catalyst Mobile in Emeryville. Erika created complete mobile design solutions including wireframes and flow documents, design skins, icon designs, and WAP and Flash Lite prototypes for mobile entertainment software. Initial rollout planned on Symbian devices.
e.b.Studios Interactive/Web Projects from 2005-2007 included:
• Catalyst Mobile: site redesign • Charya Burt Cambodian Dance: site design • Adamas Pharmaceuticals: site redesign with Expression Engine CMS & Business Identity System design • CSAA: Nascar website template design • Cal Alumni Assocation: Site redesign planning • Buck Institute for Education: site redesign with Expression Engine CMS • KAI Pharma: design & development of new Joomla CMS site • Ring Mountain Day School: new site design • FivePrime Therapeutics: design & development of Joomla CMS website • BridgeCo AG: design & development of large Joomla CMS website • Kosmix Search Engine GUI design: Alpha • ION Design: large Flash site upgrade.